Tweet Pet Travel Pet Travel Forum Pet Travel Blog Pet Travel on Facebook


Pet Travel Blog

Pet Passport
Have a question or concern? Reach out to others who have taken your journey with their pet for advice. Just gone to a fabulous place with your pet? Let us all know about it.

To the best of our ability, we ensure that recommendations given on reflect the current regulations. We cannot predict how a given country may enforce these regulations. Noncompliance may result in the need to make arrangements to put the pet into quarantine, return the pet to the country of origin, or destroy the pet. We suggest that you minimize the disruptions that may occur by following the rules of the country you are visiting.

Home > Pet Passports > Mexico

Pet Passport Mexico

Dog Passport Mexico

Regulations for taking a pet dog or cat to Mexico from countries with low risk of rabies

Mexico does not quarantine healthy pets who meet the following requirements:

This will complete your cat or dog passport for Mexico.

Dog Passport Mexico

Normally you are limited to a maximum of two pets, however you can obtain an import permit if you are bringing more than two pets into Mexico. At the present time, only cats and dogs are allowed - no birds or rabbits.

Since dogs and cats that are not yet 3 months old may enter Mexico without rabies vaccination.

At the present time, a microchip is not required, however make sure your pets are wearing tags that identify them and have contact information for the owner.

Be sure to bring along extra pet food, especially if your pet has specific needs or is particular about a certain brand. Larger cities will have big grocery stores (Gigante, Wal-Mart, Sam's Club) that do stock a variety of pet foods, but that may not always be the case in smaller locales. Also, if you expect to travel to more remote regions like Baja California, it's best to have plenty on hand for the trip.

Whenever you travel to a foreign country it is always advisable to carry some form of identification indicating ownership of the pet.

Failure to comply with these regulations will mean that your pet will be refused entry or returned to the country of origin or placed in quarantine, all at the expense of the person responsible for your pet.

Inspection: All domestic dogs and cats must be free of evidence of disease communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry to Mexico If your dog or cat is not in apparent good health, further examination by a licensed veterinarian may be required at your expense.

Other Animals: Birds, invertebrates, tropical fish, reptiles, amphibia, mammals such as rodents and rabbits are not subject to requirements of rabies vaccination, but may have to meet other requirements and should have a health certificate to enter Mexico Pet owners are strongly advised to seek further information from the relevant authority of their country and/or that of the country of destination.

Veterinary Certificate: All countries have unique veterinary certificates. This form may differ from the veterinary certificate issued by veterinarians in the United States. (APHIS 7001) It is an essential part of the cat or dog passport.

Pet Microchip: Although Mexico does not require a pet microchip, we strongly recommend that you microchip your cat or dog prior to traveling. 

Need equipment for traveling with your pet? Find it at

Need a pet friendly hotel in Mexico?

Please post to our blog or forum.
GOT COMMENTS??? Please enter them below. Your experiences will provide help for us all!!

And how does it come to chip a dog in Mexico to bring him to the Netherlands? In Mexico they cannot chip the dog we understood? Tim de Vries.
Posted on 2013-08-23 14:43:07.0
Posted on 2013-08-23 15:24:14.0
ggcfdghgvghb jhvfghxfghvv bcgfxcxfgv bvjghc vbxcv bmbfmnbcfvc bncfgv vhxffv vyjghxdc v cfv gchbvgxfhgbvghv bn hghhcbvhvbhjcxg hhhhh vbhgkinfrwxdcvf jjhhgvhgxg ghv bvhbjh ghv jhgvghb gfgcvghvhb hjhhvchgnxgfvgj.
Posted on 2013-09-09 08:22:52.0
Do we need a custom broker once we arrive in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico?
Posted on 2013-09-11 19:28:42.0
Posted on 2013-09-13 02:29:15.0
You should not need a custom broker in Playa Del Carmen. I would suggest carrying an extra $20.00 in your pocket.
Posted on 2013-09-28 19:55:43.0
Service animals are covered in the US by the American for Disabilities Act. The provisions of this act can be honored (or not) by other countries. Mexico is respectful of service animals, however each business can set their own rules. I would carry certification with you.
Posted on 2013-09-28 19:57:56.0
You can find a pet microhcip here: and we do ship to Mexico. Your pet will need to be vaccinated after the chip is inserted.
Posted on 2013-09-28 19:59:17.0
I have three German Shepherds and a pet angora rabbit that I'd like to import to Mexico. I have read that rabbits are not allowed due to some Minnesota rabbit disease. Is that still true?
Posted on 2013-10-08 17:27:24.0
I am trying to travel from chicago to villahermosa tabasco mexico. I want to take my 2 pitbulls with me. One will be 9 months and one will be 6 months. Will i be able to take them?
Posted on 2013-10-18 05:12:06.0
what do I need to take my dog from Mexico to Germany? anyone can help me??
Posted on 2013-10-23 17:43:38.0
There is no reason why your pitties cannot accompany you to Mexico as long as they are vaccinated for rabies. They will need a veterinary health certificate and a ticks and tapeworm test. There is a link on this page to instructions and forms if you need them.
Posted on 2013-10-25 12:40:52.0
You will need to microchip your dog with a 15 digit microchip, then vaccinate for rabies (in that order) at least 21 days prior to entering Germany. If your dog had a current rabies vaccination prior to the revaccination, the 21 day wait does not apply. Within 10 days of travel, a licensed vet will need to fill out an Annex II form for Germany which should be endorsed by your country veterinarian. If you are not traveling with your pet, the airlines will require a health certificate within 10 days of travel. If you need complete instructions and forms for taking a pet to Germany, you can find them here:
Posted on 2013-11-13 02:29:41.0
How much does this even cost i cant seem to get a clear answer and does it matter what lind of dog becauae i have a Rottweiler and i want to send her to my brother. Hes the one that got her originally and now we just want her in mexico with him. She has all her shots & everything i just dont know how to do it and also the cost
Posted on 2013-11-30 18:32:26.0
Claudia - first you need to find an airline that flies the most direct route from where you are to Mexico. Find an airline that serves the entire route. Airlines do not interline pets. If your Rittweiler is traveling unaccompanied, you need to contact the cargo department of that airline for the cost. Also, ask them if they require an agent to clear your pet in Mexico. If you are traveling with your pet, then it should be able to travel as checked baggage which will be less expensive. You can find the requirements for bringing a pet to Mexico here:
Posted on 2013-12-03 02:49:31.0
Your puppy needs to be fully vaccinated to enter Mexico. That age is normally 3 months.
Posted on 2013-12-03 02:50:25.0
Make sure the airlines allows you to take two live animals. They should but make sure you make a reservation for both animals.
Posted on 2013-12-03 18:54:41.0
In Mexico City, it is unlikely your dog will be welcome in many places. In the smaller towns, the dogs are more welcomed.
Posted on 2013-12-03 18:55:37.0
PetTravel The airline will tell you the cost but usually it is $100-150 per dog.
Posted on 2013-12-03 18:56:43.0
I am trying to bring my dog to Mexico from the US. I heard from United that we would be required to hire a pet broker (for $500 or more) to bring him into Mexico. I think it's because they classify dogs as cargo, not as baggage. I called Delta and the woman said the dog would be "baggage" and that I wouldn't need a pet broker. She seemed to be reading from a script, though, so I'm still a bit worried. Do you know anything about pet brokers and Mexico? Is it an airline thing or an unavoidable thing with Mexican law?
Posted on 2013-12-10 00:32:09.0
A requirement for an agent is strictly an airline decision. United requires agents to handle many Central and South America countries. It is not a requirement of the country.
Posted on 2013-12-10 04:01:18.0
PetTravel: Awesome. Thanks so much for your help!
Posted on 2013-12-10 14:43:28.0
I am thinking about travelling to Merida Mexico with my Rottweiller, 2 years of age. Unfortunately there is no direct route. Is it better to have a layover in the U.S., like Houston, or Mexico City? Who will take great care to see that he is well taken care of?
Posted on 2013-12-16 17:15:30.0
Also, I looked into what airlines have the best Track-Record of safest pet travel and United is the best, with minor incidents.
Posted on 2013-12-16 17:16:57.0
Better to layover in the United States if possible. Keep the layover around 2 hours if possible and the airline will transfer your pet to the next plane. (Stay on the same airline.) If the layover is more than 2 hours and your pet is traveling with you as checked baggage, you need to confirm that the airline will hold them, otherwise you have to claim and recheck your pet.
Posted on 2013-12-17 03:52:21.0
United flies a lot of animals very efficiently even though they, as all airlines, have had their trip ups. You will need to verify that you will not need an agent to handle the transport as United oftentimes requires that on Central and South America routes.
Posted on 2013-12-17 03:54:10.0
I'm going to be shipping my two cats down to Mexico alone and they will be picked up by someone else there. What do my relatives need in order to claim the cats?
Posted on 2014-01-03 17:57:19.0
Power of Attorney (notarized) and proof of identity. Make sure that they are listed on the airway bill. Also, keep a $20 in a back pocket just in case. ;o)
Posted on 2014-01-04 21:23:41.0
How did u send them? I need to send my dog and I have no idea where to start
Posted on 2014-02-19 00:44:45.0
I'm in Maryland and want to travel to Mexico City to get get a puppy bull terri ,where could i call to get specific answers about my questions
Posted on 2014-02-24 12:32:23.0
You can call us toll-free at 877-241-0184 M-F 9-6EST
Posted on 2014-02-25 03:08:12.0
What do i need.. because im goin to buy a mini Chihuahua in mexico he has 2 months what do i need to bring him to the usa.. please help im livin next week
Posted on 2014-03-23 18:21:33.0
Zulema - your puppy will need a health certificate to enter the US. You will need to sign a home quarantine form and have your puppy vaccinated for rabies at 3 months. You can find details and links to instructions and forms here:
Posted on 2014-03-24 03:27:00.0
Contact the cargo department of the airline that serves the entire route. They will need a health/veterinary certificate.
Posted on 2014-03-24 03:28:02.0
We plan to go to puerta vallerta. Hotel approved pet and airline good to go. So to take her to mexico we need a health certificate and vaccine records including rabies and free of worms. Do we need the 7001 form too? And when coming back to us we just need all that same info? We don't need another vet check in mexico and another letter from vet in mexico saying she's ok to return? Thank you!
Posted on 2014-03-26 21:37:16.0
Hi Katie - you will need the 7001 form and it should be endorsed by your state USDA office veterinarian. We also have a Spanish version as customs officials appreciate it, but the USDA does not endorse it. As long as you are not in Mexico for over 30 days, your papers should be fine for returning to the states.
Posted on 2014-03-27 01:40:56.0
USDA office vet- can that be our pets vet or is that someone else I need to contact? Thank you!
Posted on 2014-03-27 02:20:56.0
Ask your vet if they are USDA accredited. It costs money and some vets are not. Unfortunately, there is no list published of accredited vets. The USDA will not endorse the forms unless the vet lists their accreditation number on the form.
Posted on 2014-03-27 03:37:51.0