Pet Passport Malaysia
Regulations for taking a pet dog or cat to MalaysiaPets entering from the United Kingdom, Eire, Northern Ireland, New Zealand, Japan and Brunei:
- Your pet must be accompanied with an Import License issued by the Director General of Veterinary Services or the State Director. The license must be returned in person by either the importer, a friend or relative or an licensed agent. This document is good for 30 days from issuance.
- ISO 11784/11785 ISO compliant 15 digit pet microchip
- Proof of current rabies vaccination.
- Veterinary Certificate for Malaysia endorsed by the Governing Authority of the originating country responsible for the export and import of animals stating that there have been no cases of rabies in the past 6 months, that your pet is free from infectous diseases, and has lived in the country for the past 6 months.
- Affidavit of the Captain of the Airline.
Quarantine: Cats and Dogs may enter Malaysia without quarantine if approved after inspection when entering from the above countries.
Pets entering from other countries except Singapore:
- An Import License issued by the Director General of Veterinary Services or State Director must be filed before bringing pets into Malaysia.
- 15 digit ISO 11784/11785 compliant microchip.
- Your pet cat or dog must be vaccinated for rabies between 30 days and 12 months prior to entry into the country. A USDA (or CFIA) accredited veterinarian must then complete the Veterinary Certificate for Malaysia for endorsement by the USDA or CFIA if traveling from the United States or Canada. If you are not traveling from either of these countries, the Governing Authority of your country responsible for the import and export of animals should endorse the forms.
- A copy of the Rabies Certificate should also be included.
Upon arrival from any country other than Singapore and the rabies free countries listed above, your pet shall be placed in quarantine and may be vaccinated with approved anti-rabies vaccine and detained in quarantine for compulsory period of not less than seven (7) days (10 days for dogs and cats entering from Australia). Your pet will be released if found to be free of any evidence of infection. However, where deemed necessary, the quarantine period can be extended up to six (6) months based on risk assessment on a case to case basis.
Quarantine facilities for dogs and cats are available at Kuala
Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) at Sepang, Penang International
Airport, and Padang Besar (Perlis-Thai border). Those dogs and cats
requiring quarantine must enter at those points.
Pets entering from Singapore:
- All requirements listed above must be met. If requirements
below are met, there will be no quarantine Malaysia.
- Your pet must be accompanied by a declaration by the owner to the effect that it is been in your
possession in Singapore for not less than six(6) months or since its
birth and that the owner has no reason to believe it to be infected with
- In addition, you must have a certificate from the competent
veterinary officer, Primary Production (Veterinary) Department
Singapore, endorsing that your pet has not been imported into
Singapore during the six (6) months immediately preceding the date
of the certificate except in accordance with regulation, and
endorsing that no case of rabies had been reported to have
occurred in Singapore during the six (6) months immediately
preceding the date of the certificate.
- Your pet must be examined by the Veterinary Department Singapore (within the seven days immediately preceding the import and found to be free from any clinical sign of infectious or contagious diseases. Your pet must be carried by aircraft or road transport direct to the prescribed landing place or any other airport as directed by the Director General of Veterinary Services, Malaysia or the State Director.
Breed Restrictions: The following breeds will not be permitted to enter Malaysia: American Pit Bull, Pit Bull Terrier, Pit Bull, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Bulldog, Neopolitan Mastiff, Japanese Tosa, Akita, Dogo Argentino and Fila Braziliero.
There are additional requirements to bring these breeds to Malaysia: Rottweiler, Doberman Pinscher, German Shepard, Belgian Shepard, East European Shepard, Bull Mastiff, Bull Terrier, and Perro de Presa Canario.
Whenever you travel to a foreign country like Malaysia, it is always advisable to carry some form of identification indicating ownership of the pet.
Failure to comply with these regulations will mean that your pet will be refused entry or returned to the country of origin or placed in quarantine, all at the expense of the person responsible for your pet.
Inspection: All domestic dogs and cats must be free of evidence of disease
communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry to
Malaysia. If your dog or cat is not in apparent good health, further examination by a
licensed veterinarian may be required at your expense.
Other Animals: Birds, invertebrates, tropical fish, reptiles, amphibia, mammals such as rodents and rabbits are not subject to requirements of rabies vaccination, but may have to meet other requirements and should have a health certificate to enter Malaysia. Pet owners are strongly advised to seek further information from the relevant authority of their country and/or that of the country of destination.
If your pet is not a dog, cat or ferret, and especially if it is a
turtle or parrot, you should verify that
it is not protected under the
Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna
and Flora (CITIES). You will need to apply for additional permits
if this is the case. Search their database.
Over 180 countries participate and enforce CITIES regulations. Read more about CITIES.
Veterinary Certificate: All countries have unique veterinary certificates. This form may differ from the veterinary certificate issued by veterinarians in the United States. (APHIS 7001) It is an essential part of the cat or dog passport.
The information published here is a guideline for pet owners importing their pet to Malaysia. Further detail on import permits (if applicable), costs, tests and procedures are available at minimal cost at PetTravelStore.com if you need them. We also stock all the equipment and accessories you will need for traveling with your pet. Same day shipping until 4:00 PM EST.GOT QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS??? You can post them directly to our Facebook page, blog, forum or just enter them below. We will respond as soon as we can.