Pet Passport El Salvador
Regulations for taking a pet dog or cat to El Salvador
El Salvador does not quarantine healthy pets who meet the following requirements:
- You must apply for an Import Permit for your pet from the Animal Quarantine Department in San Salvador. There is a minimal fee involved.
- Rabies vaccination between 30 days and 12 months prior to travel.
- Within 10 days of travel, the Veterinary Certificate for El Salvador should be completed. Although it is not required, we recommend that a USDA or CFIA licensed veterinarian complete the form and you have it endorsed by the USDA or CFIA if traveling from the United States or Canada. If you are not traveling from either of these countries, the Governing Authority of your country responsible for the import and export of animals should endorse the forms.
- The veterinary certificate must be validated by the El Salvador consulate.
- Cats must be vaccinated against panleukopenia not less than 30 days prior to travel and not more than 6 months prior to travel.
- A copy of the Rabies Certificate should also be included for endorsement.
- Shortly before travel, your pet will need a Ticks & Tapeworm Test given by your veterinarian.
Whenever you travel to a foreign country like El Salvador, it is always advisable to carry some form of identification indicating ownership of the pet. There is no limit as to the number of personal pets to be imported to El Salvador.
Failure to comply with these regulations will mean that your pet will be refused entry or returned to the country of origin or placed in quarantine, all at the expense of the person responsible for your pet.
Inspection: All domestic dogs and cats must be free of evidence of disease
communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry to
El Salvador. If your dog or cat is not in apparent good health, further examination by a
licensed veterinarian may be required at your expense.
Other Animals: Birds are not permitted for import to El Salvador from any country. Invertebrates, tropical fish, reptiles, amphibia, mammals such as rodents and rabbits are not subject to requirements of rabies vaccination, but may have to meet other requirements and should have a health certificate to enter El Salvador. Pet owners are strongly advised to seek further information from the relevant authority of their country and/or that of the country of destination.
If your pet is not a dog, cat or ferret, and especially if it is a
turtle or parrot, you should verify that
it is not protected under the
Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna
and Flora (CITES). You will need to apply for additional permits
if this is the case. Search their database.
Over 180 countries participate and enforce CITES regulations. Read more about CITES.
Veterinary Certificate: All countries have unique veterinary certificates. This form may differ from the veterinary certificate issued by veterinarians in the United States. (APHIS 7001) It is an essential part of the cat or dog passport.
Pet Microchip: Although El Salvador does not require a pet microchip, we strongly recommend that you microchip your cat or dog prior to traveling.
The information published here is a guideline for pet owners importing their pet to Elj Salvador. Further detail on import permits (if applicable), costs, tests and procedures are available at minimal cost at PetTravelStore.com if you need them. We also stock all the equipment and accessories you will need for traveling with your pet. Same day shipping until 4:00 PM EST.
GOT QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS??? Due to the high demand, we are unable to respond to your question quickly if posted below. If you need a fast response, you can post them directly to our Facebook page, blog, or forum. We will respond as soon as we can.
Please note that the accuracy of comments made from Facebook users other than Pet Travel have not been verified. We do not endorse any person or company that may offer transport services through posts to this webpage.