Thread: What is it like for a dog to travel on a plane ?

What is it like for a dog to travel on a plane ?

Im travelling with my dog soon, and im so worried that hes going to be terrified. Does anyone know the actual process of what happens from when you take the dog to the airport to when you land? What do they stay in on the plane? a box? is it really small? And can it be dangerous for dogs.. also its going to be around about 5 hours... and then on another plane for about an hour, how do you think my 6 month and half bichon frise puppy will cope? Im nervous for him. Any experiences?

Re: What is it like for a dog to travel on a plane ?

There are two ways for pets to travel on the plane. On some airlines very small pet can travel with their owner in an approved carrier which goes under the seat in front of the passenger. If the pet is larger it travels as checked baggage in an IATA compliant pet crate. You check your pet in at the ticket counter and pay for the transportation but you must have an advance reservation for the pet. The pet rides in a special section of the cargo hold where the temperature and pressure is the same as in the cabin. On arrival you pick your pet up at the baggage claim area. If you are traveling to another country there are other requirements. You may wish to visit www.pettravelstore.com as you will find everything that you need.
    Jerry

For plane trips, it may be a good idea to check the guidelines of your airline first. Some allow dogs to be taken on-board, but most prefer that they be in crates. Since these trips mean that they are kept in an unfamiliar environment for a longer period, you may want to make sure that your Dachshund has a pillow and blanket in its crate.

I actually have a shih Tzu and she or he is 14 lb. I even have decision Continental several times to determine if she is allowed in cavin to go to Costa Rica. Some of the individuals there tell me she is fine some tell me she is just too big. How massive was the dog that you brought in cabin to Nicaragua

Last time I checked, United (who took over Continental) would not permit you to bring your pet to Costa Rica in the cabin.

My tips for you was:
    BOOK EARLY
    FLY DIRECT
    VISIT THE VETERINARIAN
    BUY A CARRIER
    MAKE YOUR DOG DO THE EAT. DRINK. POOP. PLAY.
    And you need a Health certificate and medical records. Spare collar with id tag. Pet wipes or grooming products

Admin, There's no reason for him to be terrified if he is crate trained. Some airlines allow the dog to stay with the owner in the cab, but some don't. If they don't, the pets are put in a pressurized part of the plane so they can breathe and be in there without worry. The dog is put in a crate into the luggage area. People do it all the time. I would call up the airline and ask this question. They can answer it better than any of us can because they know what they do. All airlines are different. Ask if the dog is allowed to come with you.