Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is it like for a dog to travel on a plane ?

Re: What is it like for a dog to travel on a plane ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jhonvomer View Post
    Im travelling with my dog soon, and im so worried that hes going to be terrified. Does anyone know the actual process of what happens from when you take the dog to the airport to when you land? What do they stay in on the plane? a box? is it really small? And can it be dangerous for dogs.. also its going to be around about 5 hours... and then on another plane for about an hour, how do you think my 6 month and half bichon frise puppy will cope? Im nervous for him. Any experiences?
    http://conejo.com/
    Hello
    Commercial airlines are not deliberately cruel or even particularly careless when it comes to shipping dogs; they just aren't set up to deal with pets efficiently. Unless a dog is small enough to carry on board the plane, air travel is risky.
    The basic problem is that to an airline, your pet is just an especially bothersome piece of baggage. And as everyone knows, baggage slip-ups are inevitable. When a mistake means your luggage goes to Minneapolis while you go to Atlanta, you'll survive the inconvenience. But if your dog goes to the wrong city or is forgotten on a luggage carousel, it may not.
    Special rules for assistance dogs. Assistance dogs travel with their owners, in the airliner's cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhonvomer View Post
    Im travelling with my dog soon, and im so worried that hes going to be terrified. Does anyone know the actual process of what happens from when you take the dog to the airport to when you land? What do they stay in on the plane? a box? is it really small? And can it be dangerous for dogs.. also its going to be around about 5 hours... and then on another plane for about an hour, how do you think my 6 month and half bichon frise puppy will cope? Im nervous for him. Any experiences?

Nothing to worry Jhonvomer because your pup will surely be comfortable while he's on the plane. Just make sure he has the right temperament to fly. Try to find the best pet carrier for him. Also, it's best if you call the airline ahead of time to reserve a space for your dog.

pdgal

Some great advice up there! Get him used to whatever crate you will be using beforehand so there is no added stress of a new carrier in addition to a new environment.