Thread: What is it like for a dog to travel on a plane ?

What is it like for a dog to travel on a plane ?

Im travelling with my dog soon, and im so worried that hes going to be terrified. Does anyone know the actual process of what happens from when you take the dog to the airport to when you land? What do they stay in on the plane? a box? is it really small? And can it be dangerous for dogs.. also its going to be around about 5 hours... and then on another plane for about an hour, how do you think my 6 month and half bichon frise puppy will cope? Im nervous for him. Any experiences?

Re: What is it like for a dog to travel on a plane ?

you have nothing to worry about ... dogs will just deal with it ... i have flown with two small dogs more than ten times and there has never been a problem ... if your pup is small enough to fit under the seat in front of you, several airlines allow that ... it would have to be an airline-approved soft-sided carrier and the pup would have to be comfortable in the carrier ... the airline will check and if the pup is too big you will not be flying unless you can get someone to run a hard airline-approved crate to the airport for you ... if the dog travels in cargo there is no problem there either ... cargo these days is pressurized and climate controlled just like the cabin ... i actually prefer they travel cargo ... if the pup travels cargo you can not sedate, if the pup travels in the cabin, i would fast the pup before the flight and get a mild sedative from your vet ...

- traveling in cargo, you would give the pup in his crate over to the airline staff and they take him to a waiting area ... when plane pulls up they start loading luggage and dogs ... when i flew delta, they actually had someone from the ground crew come on the plane to tell me my dogs were loaded safe and sound ... when you land you have to go to the place where over-sized luggage is delivered and pick up your pooch ...

- traveling in cabin, you just get on the plane and put the carrier under the seat in front of you ... i have been on flights where they have allowed me to take my dog out and others are very strict and do not allow that ...

you shouldn't be nervous for him ... it may be a new experience for the dog but that is a good thing, not bad ... and if you are nervous, dogs totally pick up on our energy, so it is not helpful for the dog to be nervous ...

Some good advice from bishvabis!

Hi, I also am traveling with a dog, and I am very concerned with him being terrified of the flight. He is a small terrier, so I think it will be fine to bring him on the cabin, but I am worried that he will be barking too much. I have heard that there are some drugs that you can give your dog, like the equivalent to Xanex, but for dogs. Does anyone have any advice about giving my dog drugs on the plane in order for him to calm down so he does not make the flight terribly annoying for all of the other passengers? Thanks for any advice.

Try this product: http://www.pettravelstore.com/products/Pet-Calming-Treat-Small-Dogs.html. It is all natural and calms pets down. Try it at home first and see how it works. In the meantime, get your dog accustomed to the carrier. Take him in the car, to the pet store, to the dog park. Getting your dog used to the carrier is a big step in having a happier traveler.
    Susan

Thumbs up Re: What is it like for a dog to travel on a plane ?

Purchase a pet company to suit the airline's requirements, has a waterproof foundation and will fall under the aircraft seat at the front side of you. Fit it with an old smooth soft towel or protect to keep your dog relaxed. Product the company with your name, deal with, comprehensive wide range and the contact comprehensive wide range at your place.Obtain a actual health and physical fitness documents from the vet exposing that your dog is current on all vaccines and in actual health.
    Last edited by admin; 09-27-2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: no linkbacks

Traveling in cabin, you just get on the plane and put the carrier under the seat in front of you ... i have been on flights where they have allowed me to take my dog out and others are very strict and do not allow that ...Purchase a pet company to suit the airline's requirements, has a waterproof foundation and will fall under the aircraft seat at the front side of you. Fit it with an old smooth soft towel or protect to keep your dog relaxed.
    Last edited by admin; 09-28-2012 at 01:10 PM. Reason: No link backs

Let us know which airlines allow pets out of the carrier during the flight. I know of none that will allow that.
    Susan