Thread: Making microchips mandatory in pets - a growing trend?

Making microchips mandatory in pets - a growing trend?

This article talks about making micro chipping and registering a pet mandatory in the UK.

[URL="http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peterwedderburn/100049580/compulsory-microchipping-would-save-dogs-lives/"][SIZE=2]http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peterwedderburn/100049580/compulsory-microchipping-would-save-dogs-lives/[/SIZE][/URL]

The assumption in this article is that it will help reduce the number of strays and the cost of boarding and euthanizing them. There is no denying that the popularity of pit bull breeds has increased their numbers at animal control facilities and shelters. Many of them have been raised to be protective, and there is slim possibility of adoption.

Too many times, an owner who can no longer assume responsibility for a pet will let it loose. An identification in place could identify the owner thus discouraging this behavior. However, the requirement would have to be affordable and monitored as is a rabies program.

There are several sides to this argument. Would it encourage illegitimate and non professional breeders further underground? Would it stop the practice of pet abondonment? How would it be enforced? Does the problem warrant this solution? Let us know what you think.

Re: Making microchips mandatory in pets - a growing trend?

will it hurt my pet or not ???
    just curious , cause it is not clear from the blog .

Hello styloaries04,

Microchipping will NOT hurt your pet. It is a painless procedure where a chip is injected into the first few layers of skin. In the long run, it is a good decision, especially in the situation your pet becomes lost.

that sound pretty interesting but is there any side effect or something bcoz its on pet skin...

Quote Originally Posted by todaytourism.com View Post
    that sound pretty interesting but is there any side effect or something bcoz its on pet skin...
    Almost every microchip insertion is painless, and free of any side effects. The chip is technically not on the pets skin, its actually inserted within the layers.

Would requiring microchips in pets and owner registration help reduce the number of strays in pet shelters and the cost of boarding and euthanizing them? Certainly, it will increase the number of reunions between pets and their owners. It would also increase accountability in pet owners encouraging them to turn in their pet to a shelter as opposed to abondoning them. When traveling with a pet, microchips are essential to protect your pet should it be lost or separated from you.

Are there further issues as well? How would the program be enforced? Would mandatory micro chipping in domesticated pets mark the start of greater identification in all animals and eventually in humans?

I think that as with human beings, there should be a way to identify and locate pets. Like what whale watchers do, they tag them with some form of RFID chip so that they could monitor the activity and how they go about their lives.

I do not think this should be mandatory but something that is strongly suggested which is really useful in situations when your pet gets lost. It would not hurt as it could be really small as a grain of rice that would be injected in the skin.

When I purchased my Labrador from a breeder, he and all of his brothers and sisters already had the chip implanted. Seems like a pretty good idea to me, luckily we haven't had to use it as he is not a runner like my boxer who tends to take off sometimes.
    Pet Travel | Portable Dog Crates

Most breeders would already have puppies chipped, after all those are an investment. Honestly I have mixed feelings in regards to micro chipping, on the one hand it will require owners to be more responsible for their animals and not just dump them like trash, and if you animal likes to run or travel far then it would decrease the risk of the animal being lost or taken by animal control. On the other hand the idea of injecting a micro device just seems a bit off putting to me, I don't think it should be a mandatory requirement.

I'm not agree with microchip
    ifly.net.au