Thread: Transit with the small dog in USA

Transit with the small dog in USA

Hello,
    I am planning to travel from Brazil to Montenegro with my dog in cabin (under 8 kg), and will have stopover for two nights in NY (JFK)-USA.
    I am afraid about procedure on entrance and exit from USA. Do anyone have experiences about pets in transit?

My dog is vaccinated for rabies and I will have Declaration of Embassy that is allowed entrance in Montenegro. I will have official sanitary certificate from brazilian authority too (done 7 days prior to the trip). My dog is micro-chipped too.
    Do anyone have suggestion?
    Thanks in advance.
    Tatiana

Administrator

Re: Transit with the small dog in USA

Tatiana - your dog will need proof of a screwworm inspection administered by a licensed vet in Brazil between one and five days of entering the US. The concern here is the validity period of your health certificate and whether your airline will be looking for a USDA-endorsed health certificate as you are spending time in the States. You need to contact them and ask if this will be the case. If both legs of your trip are separate itineraries, this may be the case.
    Susan

Susan,
    Thank you very much on your quick reply.
    Where can I find contact with USA authority to ask them?
    Who is the USA authority for this issue

Administrator

The best thing to do is to contact your airline and ask them what they will be looking for when you board the leg of your trip out of the United States. If they will accept the health certificate from Brazil or they will expect a new health certificate from the US. If the person you are speaking with does not know, then ask to speak with a supervisor.
    Susan