Thread: From South Korea to EU (Poland)

From South Korea to EU (Poland)

I am opening this thread on behalf of my friend. She's European (Polish) living in South Korea. A year ago she adopted a small dog. Now she needs to come back to Poland. At first she planed to wait the required time and take the dog with her, but the reason of her return is now urgent, she needs to fly back right now, so she will have the dog shipped after required time of waiting.

The problem is, apparently vets in Korea don't have a clue what exactly you need to do to travel with a dog to Poland from a High-Rabies Country. She asked, they don't know how to help her.

Does somebody know what she need to do, step by step? The dog is vaccinated and healthy. I've read this thread, but still there are things unclear for us, and when a veterinarian doesn't know what to do, we need somebody who will tell us.

"If your pet is entering Poland from a high-rabies country (click here), your pet must be microchipped, then vaccinated for rabies (in that order). After waiting 30 days, a rabies titer test (FAVN) must be administered. (Have your veterinarian scan your pet's microchip prior to the titer test.)
    Samples must be processed at approved laboratories. Assuming test results are within acceptable limits, your pet can enter Poland no sooner than 3 calendar months after the date the blood was drawn and avoid quarantine. This step is not required unless entering Poland from a high-rabies country."

I mean, the dog is already microchipped and vaccinated, and the vaccine is valid. Can the FAVN test be done now? Or does the dog need to be vaccinated AGAIN, then they have to wait 30 days, then take a blood test, then another three months of waiting? One month less means a lot. The dog is staying with my friend's boyfriend in familiar enviroment, but still, it's not gonna be easy for both my friend and her dog.

The dog is also small enough to fly in the cabin. Could she travel in the cabin even without the presence of the owner?

I hope you will be able to help.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Re: From South Korea to EU (Poland)

Hello - no need to revaccinate your dog as long as the current rabies vaccination was administered AFTER a microchip was implanted and is not more than 6 months or so old. The object is to have a high level of rabies antibodies in the blood when the test is given. If the rabies vaccination is too old, then the level may not be high enough. The pup can enter Poland 3 calendar months after the date the blood was taken for the test.

In order to fly in the cabin, the pup must be accompanied by an adult passenger.