Thread: Travelling with pet for the first time

Travelling with pet for the first time

Hello all! This is my first trip with my 2 years old golden retriever. We are going from USA to UK for a family trip. My major concern is my pet. She has never gone out for such long trips earlier. And we do not have any idea about the things available for her in the flight for managing her wastes and all. Also, I was going to buy a crate for her.
    Can anyone please suggest which type of crate would suit her best. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

Administrator

Re: Travelling with pet for the first time

You will need an IATA-compliant pet crate like one of these: https://www.pettravelstore.com/pet-crates/. There is a link on the page that will tell you all about measuring your pet for a crate. Get your crate early and get your pet accustomed to your crate before you travel.

It is also important to know the rules for importing a pet to the UK. You can find them here: http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/UnitedKingdom.cfm.

Be sure and find an airline that flies the entire route. Do not change airline companies along the way.
    Susan

Thanks for the reply.
    Will definitely try the options that you have mentioned. And yes, I will be taking the flight that is providing direct route so that my dog does not feel uncomfortable throughout the journey.

It is hard to travel along with the pet in flight. By installing the Gladiator Dog Waste Station we can give comfort to them during and after a flight. Gladiator Stations are now available in Black, as well as Green, for added aesthetics.

A pet or companion animal is an animal kept primarily for a person's company, protection, or entertainment rather than as a working animal, livestock, or laboratory animal. Popular pets are often noted for their attractive appearances, and their loyal or playful personalities.
    Pets provide their owners physical and emotional benefits. Walking a dog can supply both the human and pet with exercise, fresh air, and social interaction. Pets can give companionship to elderly adults who do not have adequate social interaction with other people, as well as to other people who are living alone. There is a medically approved class of therapy animals, mostly dogs or cats, that are brought to visit confined humans, such as children in hospitals or elders in nursing homes. Pet therapy utilizes trained animals and handlers to achieve specific physical, social, cognitive, and emotional goals with patients.
    The most popular pets are likely dogs and cats but people also keep house rabbits, ferrets; rodents such as gerbils, hamsters, chinchillas, fancy rats, and guinea pigs; avian pets, such as canaries, parakeets, corvids, parrots, and chickens; reptile pets, such as turtles, lizards and snakes; aquatic pets, such as goldfish, tropical fish and frogs; and arthropod pets, such as tarantulas and hermit crabs.
    Some scholars, ethicists and animal rights organizations have raised concern over pet-keeping with regards to the autonomy and objectification of nonhuman animals.