Thread: Traveling with an Emotional Support Animal

Traveling with an Emotional Support Animal

Hello,
    I will be traveling with my dog as an Emotional Support Animal, but have a lot of anxiety about her flying. She is a dog I will be bringing back with me from Costa Rica and has never flown before/lives a very free life here ie: without a leash, has not been in a crate before, and hasn't been exposed to high amounts of people/inside busy buildings before. I am very nervous she will freak out in the cabin and bark/whine. She is a medium sized dog and has a very loud bark. We are relocating back to the states and are planning to bring her and flights are around 7 hours with a layover in between. Does anyone have any experience traveling with a larger Emotional Support Animal in the cabin (uncaged) and what do you do about barking/their anxiety? Since she has never been in this situation I really don't know how she'll respond (maybe fine?).
    Also, i've considered cargo but I really don't want to do this as I think that would be even more terrifying for her to be put in a crate/separated from us. Plus, I've heard many horror stories about traveling cargo.
    Any insight into this would be very helpful, pros/cons of riding cabin (again, note, she is NOT a small dog and will be just on a leash sitting at our feet) or riding in cargo in a crate.
    Thanks!

Administrator

Re: Traveling with an Emotional Support Animal

Lily - because emotional support animals, unlike service animals, are not trained as a part of their "certification," you are responsible for their behavior. The airlines will not tolerate behavior that will affect other passengers or cabin operations. You will need to be proactive in socializing your dog in public places to observe its behavior and decide whether it can behave while sitting/lying at your feet for 7 hours. If this cannot happen, then you need to work on acclimating your dog to a pet crate.
    Susan

how I Calming down my dog
    Singapore Tour Operator
    |
    Singapore Travel Agent
    |
    Singapore Travel Agency

Administrator

You can try a mild sedative, but you will need to train your dog. It will take some time to get your dog accustomed to being around people in confined spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by LILY View Post
    Hello,
    I will be traveling with my dog as an Emotional Support Animal, but have a lot of anxiety about her flying. She is a dog I will be bringing back with me from Costa Rica and has never flown before/lives a very free life here ie: without a leash, has not been in a crate before, and hasn't been exposed to high amounts of people/inside busy buildings before. I am very nervous she will freak out in the cabin and bark/whine. She is a medium sized dog and has a very loud bark. We are relocating back to the states and are planning to bring her and flights are around 7 hours with a layover in between. Does anyone have any experience traveling with a larger Emotional Support Animal in the cabin (uncaged) and what do you do about barking/their anxiety? Since she has never been in this situation I really don't know how she'll respond (maybe fine?).
    Also, i've considered cargo but I really don't want to do this as I think that would be even more terrifying for her to be put in a crate/separated from us. Plus, I've heard many horror stories about traveling cargo.
    Any insight into this would be very helpful, pros/cons of riding cabin (again, note, she is NOT a small dog and will be just on a leash sitting at our feet) or riding in cargo in a crate.
    Thanks!
    Hello Lily!
    It all depends on you. It's all about how you are training your dog to behave at a public place. It would be better if you make him learn to stay among people before you can take him along for such long time. As travelling for 7 long hours may make your dog to feel uncomfortable and may left him irritated. So, it would be really better if you make him comfortable and be prepared for this travel.