Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Love Traveling!

I Love Traveling!

Hey, everyone!

I'm NaughtyMaddie and I'm glad to be part of this forum. I have 3 dogs and I love traveling with them.
    I am planning to bring them somewhere really far from home, but I'm a little nervous if everything will be alright along with the way.
    Pillows, my eldest Dalmatian is very active. I really doubt that I can make her sit still in the car. My other two dogs are just the same.
    I' guess I need to figure out how to have a peaceful trip with them. They used to be with us for short trips and this is the first time I'll be bringing them to a longer trip.
    I really hope they'll be able to manage it without causing a mess. LOL

Administrator

Re: I Love Traveling!

They'll let you know when they're ready to stretch their legs. We travel with 2 big dogs on trips over 11 hours many times a year and they do fine because they remember the experience. Just being in a new place with you will be exciting for them and worth the minor adjustments you will make.
    Susan

Yes, I think I should be ready for those adjustments that I need to make. It's really good to know that your dogs are already used to having long trips. Did you have a lot of stopovers during those trips?

Administrator

We stop every 4 hours but we have big dogs with big bladders. =o) They get so excited when they see the cooler in the kitchen. They are so grateful to be going on the trip.

How did you train them to stay still and well-behaved during long trips?

Administrator

The first few times, we stopped a lot. After that, they know the routine. Generally, they sleep much of the way.

I think I need to expect those random stopovers. Hope we won't have a hard time bringing them along.
    I wonder if I still need to bring their crates or just let them sit comfortably inside the car.

Administrator

It is always better to crate them if they are acclimated to their crates. Otherwise, there are abundant amounts of pet harnesses.

The problem is that my car's not big enough for 3 crates. I think a harness will do. I think I would be needing thicker ones because my dogs are hyperactive. I wonder where I can find durable harnesses. Is a back clip harness better than the front clip one?

Administrator

The most support should be in the chest like there: https://www.pettravelstore.com/products/Auto-Pet-Harness.html