Thread: Microchip's for Pets Advantages

Microchip's for Pets Advantages

I am not against it, but I guess the primary reason why owners choose to install a microchip on their pet is to ensure that their pet will return once it gets lost. Still, it is our responsibility to watch over them.

Re: Microchip's for Pets Advantages

So how do microchips work? I don't exactly know how they work but could a GPS tracker placed on a pet could be a better alternative to microchipping?

Administrator

Microchips are passive devices, so, unless they are scanned, they do nothing. When scanned, they emit a string of numbers to the scanner. As they are implanted under the skin, they cannot be lost. They are used for identification, not for tracking a pet's whereabouts. Totally different function than a GPS Tracker which emits a signal without being scanned and is used to locate the location of a pet.
    Susan

Ohhh so thats the purpose of a microchip. I thought it's somewhat similar to a 3g gps tracker. Thanks Susan for clearing that out to me

So if you had to recommend one for travel use, which would it be?

The dog tracker, or micro-chipping?

Administrator

Microchips and dog trackers actually serve different purposes. A microchip is implanted just under the skin and is a passive device which will emit a unique string of numbers only when scanned by a microchip reader. This will allow your pet to be identified if it ever should be lost. Owners register their contact information in a database so they can be contacted. Many countries worldwide require the use of a microchip for pet identification.

A GPS tracker always emits a signal so that the owner can see where the pet is at all times. It is generally attached to a collar so that if the collar comes off, the benefit is lost. It cannot be used when traveling in the cargo hold of an airplane.
    Susan

I'd go for a regular tracker, especially for short trips. Microchips are invasive and while they have minor risks, there are risks.

So I also just learned that some(?) areas require pets to be microchipped when they get adopted or at a young age. Making the dog tracker more of an extra accessory for if you have enough money

It is very easy to track a dog by inserting a microchip. It is more helpful when is dog lost and can allow you to identify pet location for that owner has to register in to account so that it will be saved in to database.

When we have been lost our dog then both Microchip and GPS tracker are helpful for them. But Everyone cannot buy them because of more expensive. There is one other option which is highly recommended by most of the people and everyone can easily buy i.e. Pet ID Tag.