Thread: Bringing a cat from the Philippines to USA

Smile Bringing a cat from the Philippines to USA

I have an 8 year old cat and I will soon be moving to USA (around September). I wish to bring him with me if I can.
    I would like to hear/read about the requirements about flying with a cat, which airlines you got on, rates, or any other suggestion on the best ways to get my cat safely to the US.
    It will be my first international flight, and my cat's first travel.

Administrator

Re: Bringing a cat from the Philippines to USA

Kai - your choice of airlines depends on which airlines flies your route the most directly. It may be difficult to find an airline that will allow your cat in the cabin and it is a long flight so cargo may be best if your cat is not acclimated to its carrier. The United States if very cat-friendly. You should travel with a current health certificate. Although a rabies vaccination is not required to enter the US, it will likely be required in the State in which you are settling.
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Kai - your choice of airlines depends on which airlines flies your route the most directly. It may be difficult to find an airline that will allow your cat in the cabin and it is a long flight so cargo may be best if your cat is not acclimated to its carrier. The United States if very cat-friendly. You should travel with a current health certificate. Although a rabies vaccination is not required to enter the US, it will likely be required in the State in which you are settling.
    Phil
    Thank you. I do think cargo might be better for my cat since he doesn't really like strangers and the fact that he's quite a big cat. It will be very uncomfortable for him to be lying down in a small travel bag for such a long flight.
    I am aware of the health certificate and rabies vaccine requirement. I've also read somewhere that I need an export permit from BAI (Bureau of Animal Industry). I am wondering though if my cat would still need something like a pet passport or will the ones mentioned before suffice?

I would love to read about the travel experiences of people from here (Philippines) to USA with their pet cat(s).

Administrator

If your cat will travel as cargo, you will need a hard plastic crate. The above mentioned will suffice for your pet's passport.
    Phil

Alright. Thanks.

Hi there! Me and my family will also be moving to the States in less than 4 months! We also have a cat (he is 2 years old now) that we plan on bringing with us, is it okay to know what kind of processes you did in order to bring your cat with you? Does my cat need a pet passport or any kind of requirements? Your reply would really help us out a lot! Thank you!!

Administrator

Tin - regulations regarding rabies vaccinations are administered on the State level in the US. We recommend that you travel with proof of current rabies vaccination and a health certificate. If your cat is not currently vaccinated for rabies, then you should wait for 30 days before traveling.
    Susan

Is there any specific cargo service for pet shipping?

Administrator

It depends on your route. Philippine Airlines flies to the US.