Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in E:\web\public_html\jerryhatf\forum\includes\class_bbcode.php on line 2958
My new best friend and our first trip in the car...

Thread: My new best friend and our first trip in the car...

Administrator

My new best friend and our first trip in the car...

After losing my Wheaton Terrier of almost 17 years, I decided it would be a good thing to rescue a dog as opposed to buying one. Off to the Humane Society and I found a Shepherd mix crouching in the far corner of the cage shaking in fear. After much coaxing, S**** and I became bonded and now she will not leave my side. However, our second trip in the car was to visit the veterinarian, and she had no clue about riding in the car. Imagine putting her paws up on the back seat while hoisting an almost 60 pound dog into the car? It truly was a sight as it took us 3 times to get it right. Maybe I should have just tossed a treat into the back seat and watched how well she could jump. We need more practice at this...got any suggestions?

I can totally relate. My dog Bijou weighs about 60 lbs. and now that he is getting older and his legs are getting weak he can no longer hop into the car himself. I am considering getting a folding pet ramp like this one.

Re: My new best friend and our first trip in the car...

I'd suggest taking him for car rides when you're running short errands and give her a treat afterward as a reward for doing well on the ride. This way she won't associate car rides with a negative experience, such as going to the vet. I take my dog on rides whenever I can and he loves them. It was a different story when I first got him. He used to get car sick almost all the time and would foam at the mouth. I'm sure cars passing by thought I was transporting a rabid dog, but he just was so excited I think he would forget to swallow his saliva.

Quote Originally Posted by Leena View Post
    I'd suggest taking him for car rides when you're running short errands and give her a treat afterward as a reward for doing well on the ride. This way she won't associate car rides with a negative experience, such as going to the vet. I take my dog on rides whenever I can and he loves them. It was a different story when I first got him. He used to get car sick almost all the time and would foam at the mouth. I'm sure cars passing by thought I was transporting a rabid dog, but he just was so excited I think he would forget to swallow his saliva.
    Very good advice! (and visual description of your pup!)

Most dogs are car sick. Leena's trick can be used to travel with him in car. If you reward him after short riding he will be pleased.

That must have been quite a ride, and I think the best way to get a dog in the car is either with a treat or a squicky toy.
    Have fun, while you are online

Our dog was quiet during the first car trip. He just sat down and made himself comfortable on the car floor.
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment and natural care for animals.

totally agree, my dog is always sick after having short ride from our house to my workplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    Most dogs are car sick. Leena's trick can be used to travel with him in car. If you reward him after short riding he will be pleased.

Administrator

Most dogs' carsickness is due to anxiety. Try just sitting in the car without going anywhere several times. Offer lots of reassurance can make a difference.
    Susan