Thread: 8 hr Flight But Dog eats Absorbant Crate Pads

8 hr Flight But Dog eats Absorbant Crate Pads

Taking my dogs from Madrid to New York USA. 8 Hour flight. But one dog tends to chew, rip up, maybe eat the absorbent crate pads. He of course is the one most likely to vomit, poo, and pee.
    Any ideas?

Marty

Re: 8 hr Flight But Dog eats Absorbant Crate Pads

The only thing I can recommend is shredded newspaper. If you think he will eat that, then I would suggest putting nothing in the crate. The flight is short enough that he should be able to "hold" it.
    Susan

Thanks Susan

Thanks Susan : but he's such a goof.. he NEVER holds it. He's a stray that me and my dog Maddie fell in love with. We're taking him back to the USA with us to a home someone has offered him in North Carolina. He's such a character. I just know he's gonna throw up... definitely pee... maybe poop. Yet we love him.
    Do you think an 8 hour flight is short?
    Here's his facebook Page. he no longer NEEDS a home - he's got one now.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Multu-Needs-A-Home/221967434543285

Re: Thanks Susan

Marty - You are just what hundreds of shelter dogs are longing for and I commend you for looking past some minor issues.
    Another suggestion I would have is not to feed him and give him a good long walk prior to the trip to the airport. He needs hydration, though. Try giving him water 2 hours prior to the flight.

There really is no way to break up this trip and so you should meet your fella with wipes in hand. If you use anything, the breathable pads may be your best option. http://www.pettravelstore.com/products/Breathable-Carrier-Crate-Pads.html
    Susan

Honestly the easiest thing to do is probably to sedate him. That will take care of all the issues and you won't have to worry about how he's doing.

Just make sure the airline will permit the use of tranquilizers...