Thread: West coast to East... best airline?

West coast to East... best airline?

I'm flying my two dogs in cargo in a few months... I'm planning on using Alaska airlines (from Portland to Newark direct). They only charge $100 per pet, which is INSANELY cheap. I looked at some of the other carriers and they charge by weight, which puts a 100 lb dog + crate at $400+. American is also per pet but they charge a little more and have size restrictions on some of their flight (our dogs use the largest carrier).

Anyone have experience with flying Alaska? Is there a better airline?

I looked at the cargo services (where you're not on the flight) and it's cheaper to fly someone roundtrip with your dogs than using their services! What's up with that?

Alaska has a good reputation in terms of pet safety. You mention traveling in a few months. Be aware of the summer heat embargo which starts may 15h on most airlines to cities where the runway temperature will get above 84 degrees.

Jerry

Re: West coast to East... best airline?

A Pet Sitter is a great resource to have on hand, knowing that your pet is taken care of, by a caring professional. They are people who dedicate their lives to caring for animals when the owners are away, ill, or for those who have hectic lifestyles but want their pets to be kept to a set routine. There are many reasons that you could hire a sitter.

Frontier is going the way of Southwest and accepting pets in the cabin and as checked baggage. Cost is $75 for in cabin and $150 for checked baggage each way. Here's the great thing - Pets included in the new policy include small dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters and small household birds. Most airlines will not allow anything other than pet dogs and cats in the cabin.
    DevIL jiN

I always use Alaska for my pets they are very reasonable and take care of your pet

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Alaska has a good reputation in terms of pet safety. You mention traveling in a few months. Be aware of the summer heat embargo which starts may 15h on most airlines to cities where the runway temperature will get above 84 degrees.

Jerry
    Yes, I agree with you

Go with Alaska airlines. It has a good reputation.