Hard to believe that 2015 is here and it’s time for looking forward to a great year. For pet owners, we offer a few thoughts on great resolutions for the new year:
- Identify your pet – if you haven’t already, microchip your pet and register your contact information online in a microchip database. More than 80% of lost pets without microchips are never reunited with their owners. Keeping your pet safe is a primary responsibility of a pet owner, and it is a quick and easy process done at your vet.
- Have your pet spayed or neutered – don’t put this off much after 6 months of age if you can help it. If money is tight, keep your eyes out for city or county spay/neuter promotions in your community.
- Opt to adopt – there are hundreds of wonderful pets waiting to be adopted at pet rescue shelters all over the country. Many of them rescue pure breeds, although there may be a wait.
- Consider donating to a local pet rescue – these organizations depend on private donations, and the need for food and supplies is great.
- Stay in shape – as we all need exercise, so do our pets. Overweight dogs and cats will develop problems as they age. Feed them good food and watch the portions. Enjoy exercising together!
- Pay attention – take the time for strokes and hugs and tell them how great they are. Oddly enough, they understand.
Have a healthy and happy New Year.