International Pet Travel Country Questions

International Pet TravelTraveling internationally with a pet? Have questions about country requirements for entering with a pet?

  • Will my pet be quarantined?
  • What vaccinations does my pet need?
  • Will my pet need a passport?

Post your questions here and we will respond within 24 hours. You can also find information on international pet travel here: international pet travel


International Pet Travel Country Questions — 565 Comments

  1. Charlotte – as you are traveling with your dog, it will need an Annex IV form for France as that is your first point of entry into the EU. You can use the same form to enter the UK. It must be completed within 10 days of travel and endorsed by the Department of Livestock Development. You may need an export permit to export your pet from Thailand, and your pet will be inspected at the airport several days before your flight. You will collect your dog at CDG near the baggage claim. After claiming her, you will pass through customs together.

  2. HI
    I am travelling with one pet dog from thailand to Paris CDG (then on to the UK by Eurotunnel). I’m travelling on May 16th- and as its getting very close now- I am getting anxious about mis-information I may have been given…. and communication in thailand can be very challenging.

    She is a UK dog that I took to thailand with me and has an EU passport. I have her blood test certificate, Micro Chipped, she will have a health certificate (issued 3 days prior to travel + wormed). Good General Health.

    She will be travelling in the hold as Excess Baggage- Via Thai Airways.

    Can you advise what Annex Certificate I require, as Thai Airways are telling me I need an annex IV, but I have also been told I may need an annex V…or even annex III…. Ideally the Annex would cover me to arrive in Paris, and also be valid to continue on to UK.

    Also, once I have collected my dog (do you have any info on where I will collect her at CDG?), I will need to clear her through customs I presume- what documentation in addition to the above will I require to do this if any?

    Many Thanks

  3. Gale – you may want to contact the Ministry of Health in Italy and ask for a medical exception. (0039-06 5994-6540) You can also inquire at the Italian Embassy in your country. If your dog lives in a rabies controlled country, they may permit it.

  4. Sharon – as long as you are flying in and out of Hawaii on the same airline and the layover is not over 3 hours if your dog is flying in the hold, then you will transit the island and do not need to conform to their requirements. You can find requirements to enter Fiji with a pet here:

  5. Matthew – you need to search for your tortoise’s species name here: If it is there, then you need to contact them to learn what permits you will need to travel to Japan. Additionally, a health certificate will be required and likely a notification form. Here is the form and a translation: You can confirm by contacting the Quarantine Station at Narita 81-476-32-6708.

  6. Maybe a cargo only airline like Centurion? If they do not fly the route, ask your airport which cargo airlines will. Stay flexible, though. These airlines do not fly set schedules. Also, make sure your Bullie has a large bowl of water attached to the door.

  7. Shanti – ask the airlines whether an APHIS form is required. If your pet is traveling as cargo, it likely will. It should be endorsed like the Annex form is. The originals stay with your dog (attached to the crate) if your dog is traveling in the hold. You should make copies of the form to keep with you.

  8. Possibly moving from the states to Italy with my 10 year old dog. Her veterinarian has said she cannot have another rabies vaccine as the last one caused serious side effects. Is it possible to have a letter stating this from the vet and avoid my dog possibly dying from the vaccine? She is a very healthy girl.

  9. We will move from Ghana to Fiji. If we travel via Hawaii, will our dog have to meet all of Hawaii’s animal regulations for the layover?

  10. Hello, my name is Matthew. I’m trying to find information on traveling to Japan from Florida, our family pet tortoise. He is a red footed tortoise. I tried looking up on CITES, and can’t understand what would need to be done and paperwork need to bring him permanently to Japan. Thank you

  11. English Bulldog – 5 yo – 23 kg
    travel Caracas – Ve to Miami- USA

    Can u help me to send my dog, we are moving soon, and can’t find who can transport her.

  12. Hi Jason, thank you for your help! Sorry could you clarify.. I thought the aphis form was for countries that dont require a specific health certificate like the Iv form. So the airline also require an aphis or other type of health certificates? Do the airlines and custom only check the documents or keep them? How many of the same originals do I need if maybe traveling to more then one eu country?

  13. You will need the Annex IV form for the first country in the EU that you will enter. It will be good in any EU country for 4 months. EU Pet Passports are only issued to residents living in the EU.

  14. Shanti – the English version of the Annex IV is fine to enter Switzerland with your pet. We include the forms with instructions on how to fill them out in our pet passport packages if you need them. ( You can also look for them online. The rabies vaccine must be an approved inactivated vaccine or recombinant vaccine. You may want to ask your vet if purvax fits these categories.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *