Pet Policy WestJet Airlines
IN CABIN TRAVEL: FLY WITH A SMALL DOG, CAT, BIRD OR RABBIT
If your dog, cat, bird or rabbit meets the requirements listed in WestJet Airline pet policy to travel in-cabin, you will need a compliant airline pet carrier. You must notify WestJet Airlines that you are flying with a dog or cat. Reservations cannot be made online.
- There are only 4 pets permitted in the cabin on each flight.
- One pet is permitted per passenger.
- Combined weight of pet and carrier cannot exceed 22 lbs. (10kg)
- Maximum carrier dimensions: 16 in. L x 17.5 in. W x 8.5 in. H (40 cm x 44 cm x 21.5 cm) (height can be adjusted with soft sided carrier).
- Hardsided carriers are not permitted.
- Carrier must be secure with a waterproof bottom and adequate ventillation. Pet's head may not extend from carrier.
No animals are allowed to travel in the cabin to the following destinations: Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Cayman Islands, Hawaii, Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, and St. Lucia.
CHECKED BAGGAGE OR CARGO TRAVEL:
FLY WITH A LARGER DOG OR
CAT OR OTHER ANIMAL
If your pet is too large to fit under the seat, it is an animal other than a dog, cat, bird or rabbit, or if it is a very long flight, WestJet Airlines may transport your pet in the cargo section of the aircraft as checked baggage according to its regulations. This section of the cargo department has the same temperature and pressure as the passenger cabin. TIP: Be sure to tell the Captain of the aircraft that your pet is flying in the cargo hold so that they can be sure to keep the temperature at the proper level.
- Animals permitted to travel as checked baggage: dogs, cats, birds, chinchillas, guinea pigs, rabbits, and hedgehogs.
- Owners are required to fill out a Live Animals Handling Declaration.
- Maximum of 3 pets per flight (except December 11-January 10 when levels are reduced.)
- 2 pets of the same species may travel in the same crate as long as there is space in the crate.
- Maximum weight of 100 lbs. (45 kg) for pet and carrier combined.
- Crate Size Maximum: 36 in. L x 24 in. W x 26 in H (91 cm x 61 cm x 66 cm)
- Pet crate must be IATA compliant,** securea nd be well ventilated.
- Pet crate must not have wheels.
- Pet crate must have a solid top and bottom and devices for lifting the kennel.
- Pet crate must have a water and food bowl attached to a wire door with secure spring lock.
- Pet crate must include absorbent pad or towel.
- Pet crate must be marked with LIVE ANIMAL and THIS WAY UP stickers.
- Pet crate must be marked with your pet's name.
**Learn more about IATA compliant pet crates. We also suggest that you consider crate hardware for your pet's crate as it will make your kennel more secure. Once you receive your crate, you will need to acclimate your dog or cat to it before traveling. Our guide for preparing your pet and its crate for travel is helpful, especially for first time pet travelers. Download Preparing Your Pet and Its Crate for Travel.
Pit Bull breeds are not permitted into, out of or through the Province of Ontario.
If you are traveling to another country, WestJet Airlines will want to see that you have the proper documents to enter that country with your pet. Most countries have their own version of a Veterinary Certificate. In addition, some countries require an Import Permit. Find pet passport forms and instructions in the Pet Travel Store.
HOT AND COLD WEATHER RESTRICTIONS
Pets are not permitted to travel as checked baggage between the dates of May 1 and October 30 to or from the following locations: Bahamas, Bermuda, Curacao, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Puerto Rico, St. Maarten, Turks and Caicos, United States (Ft. Lauderdale, Ft. Myers, Las Vegas, Miami, Orlando, Palm Springs, Phoenix and Tampa Bay)
Pets are not permitted to travel as checked baggage to the following locations at any time during the year: Mexico (Ixtapa/Zihuatenejo), Dominican Republic (La Romana), Costa Rica (Liberia).
ADDITIONAL AIRLINE PET TRAVEL INFORMATIONAIRLINE PET TRAVEL TIPS
TIPS FOR AIRLINE PET CARGO TRAVEL
PREPARING A PET CARGO CRATE FOR AIR TRAVEL
QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS Please feel free to make comments below. We love hearing from you. However, if you have questions or comments that require a response, please send your question to info@PetTravel.com or post them to our blog or forum and we will respond promptly.