Pet Obedience and Training
Dog Rules (Sound Familiar?)
- The dog is not allowed inside.
- Okay, the dog is allowed in the house, but only in certain rooms.
- Oh, all right, the dog is allowed in all the rooms but has to stay off the furniture.
- Well, the dog can only get on the old furniture
- Fine. The dog is allowed on all the furniture, but is not allowed to sleep with the humans on the bed.
- Okay, the dog is allowed on the bed, but only by invitation.
- The dog can sleep on the bed whenever he wants, but NOT under the covers.
- The dog can sleep under the covers by invitation only.
- Oh, pooh! The dog can sleep under the covers every night.
If this seems like the situation around your home, then you are like a lot of us pet owners who from the time we bring the puppy home plan to teach them pet obedience. You were successful in housebreaking your pet, congratulations. But how are you doing on the issues of: Sit - Heal - Fetch - Down?
So, how do you start?
Obedience classes are available in almost every city and take a number of different forms. Some meet once a week generally on a Saturday for a few hours, after a few weeks, you will have a more obedient pet and a certificate to prove it.
There are even obedience camps which offer pet training which take an entire weekend or longer. Some have accommodations so it is a little like when you went to camp as a child only in this case your pet is the one going to camp.
Many provide more than obedience classes such as sports training for your dog.
A personal trainer for your pet; well, you have one, why not your pet? There are individuals in every major city who are "pet personal trainers".
The American Kennel Club has categories for pet training, kind of like a bachelors degree, a masters degree or a doctorate degree.
Still having trouble finding an obedience school in your area? Check these two sources, your local Humane Society and your local pet shop.
Need More Information?
We have current and accurate information on traveling with your pet by air, sea or ground. Find more Pet Travel Information